I use a Harken ratchamatic block on my Laser, but often hold the sheet directly from the boom when going downwind. To help pick up the correct side of the ratchet block when I go back to it, I mark the "pull" side of the block with white. I have used paint, but it rubs off too quickly. White 5200 works best for me. Any other suggestions??
.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm assuming your block is made of glass filled nylon. "Krylon Fusion" spray paint bonds directly to plastics, so should be very durable in this application. Dries in 5 minutes, but takes seven days for full chip resistance.
ReplyDeleteI used white sail tape on one side.
DeleteI still have two ratchet blocks from the 70's. I think Elstrom. Actually I trashed one which locked up. I figured the other one was dangerous and stopped using it on my Laser, though it's aboard my current keelie. I always thought back then if you are hard on the wind and block to block on the traveler, and you locked up, you would be in deep dew-hicky. Unless you could unleash the traveler, maybe. But who's going to think of that? I didn't until now.
ReplyDeleteHarken ought to do something. I need a little more now , so I will look for some "Krylon".
ReplyDeleteIt was available at hardware store. $6 for spray can and easy to put on. Will see how it wears.
ReplyDeleteYour place is valuable for me. Thanks!… Yacht Rental in Dubai
ReplyDelete